SAAP 60 History
The #60 is the last known locomotive from the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway (SA&AP). She was built in 1922 by Baldwin Locomotive Works for the SA&AP. In 1925, the SA&AP was leased entirely by the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railway (GH&SA), which in 1927 the Southern Pacific Railroad (SP) combined the GH&SA with other SP acquired railroads east of El Paso, Texas forming the Texas and New Orleans Railroad Company. She was renumbered as the T&NO #220 on August 31, 1950. It is believed that as the T&NO #220, San Antonio was her home. If this is a fact, then #60 and the SP #794 (also a T&NO) were stable mates at the San Antonio Roundhouse.
On September 14, 1954, she was sold to the Comite Southern Railroad.
She was then sold to the Louisiana and Eastern Railroad for pulling freight and was renumbered as the #2. The owner of the L&E was Mr. Paulsen Spence, who was also a steam engine collector. At the time of Mr. Spence's death (October 31, 1961), he had over 35 different steam locomotives on his property. Unfortunately, none of his family shared his love for the equipment and most of the collection was cut up and sold for scrape. Only a few of those pieces remain today. We are thankful that one of them is the SA&AP 60.
The L&E #2 was then sold in May of 1962 to her present owner Stone Mountain Scenic Railroad (SMSR) and re-designated as the "Texas II". The SMSR at Stone Mountain just outside of Atlanta. SMSR used her to pull tourist passenger trains around the 5-mile loop around the beautiful Stone Mountain until she was pulled out of service in 1984 due to mechanical problems.